Skip to main content

19 hours in "First Class"....

..."First Class" on the interstate coach from Mendoza to Bariloche that is!
Here are some memorable milestones along the journey:
Realising that the names given me by the check in clerk ("Comodoro Rivadivia") were not the names of driver and steward but the final destination ( beyond Bariloche!) to which the bus was heading...
Snuggling under my blanket (as the air-conditioning plummetted temperatures to 17°) after a tasty supper of pasta....
Waking up at 1am and 2.30am at deserted town coach stations and feeling sorry for those who had to catch a bus at that time...
Feeling equally sorry for the other eight passengers in "Primero Classe" who have to endure my extremely LOUD SNORING......!
Watching a mother consoling her deeply distressed three year old who had had to say "Goodbye" to nain and taid.(And thanking God for the gift of my family....)
Being woken up by one of my own snores ( yes, it IS that bad!) and watching the sun rise on the Patagonian steppe - yellow and bleached green clusters of small shrubs amongst the sandy gravel, barely sufficient to sustain goats, let alone sheep and cattle...
Glimpsing signs of the Argentinian oil industry ( prices have dropped over the last few years) and also of an atomic power facility - right in the middle of nowhere...
Sensing the clock move slowly and thanking God for those BBC films ( "Letters from Baghdad") that I'd downloaded....
Sensing the change in geography as we climbed up major escrapments, looking down on sculptuted granite, azure lakes and fast flowing torrents...
Being amazed how we'd suddenly arrived....
And thanking God that the flight back to Europe will be much shorter - God willing....!
" Keep me travelling along with you....!" 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insufficient words....

... that's what I felt like when, having moved on to the (equally beautiful and 'touristy') town of El Calafate, I ventured to see one of its main 'draws' - the Perito Moreno Glacier.... Some fifty photographs (from the water facing it and from the organised viewpoints above it)  cannot capture its magnitude, all shades of white and blue shimmering in the sunshine... It is as large as the whole surface area of Buenos Aires and is "in equilibrium" (ie the amount of ice breaking off at its end - and I witnessed that several times - is equal to the amount of snow replenishing it day by day.) It travels some 2 meters every day and, as often happens, has "cut off" one side of the vast Lago Argentina lake so that the water level one side is some 3 meters higher than the other. In time the natural forces will find a way to redress this inbalance and the sheer force of water will eventually cause the glacier to "rupture" - with great force a...

Pain, suffering, healing and hope....

I wonder how you would describe the mystery we celebrate when we participate in the Eucharist? Having made contact with Revd Mark Simpson, another fine anglican priest sponsored by CMS, I was invited to join him at the Saturday night Street Church based in Rio's (notorious) city centre... For me, it was a moving expression of what I understand to be a priestly role and a humble living out of what I understand 'Liberation Theology' to be about... This theological thinking, expounded by Gustavo Guiterrez ( amongst others) sees the Gospel as an expression of God's love for all, but with a particular emphasis on God's siding with the poor, the downtrodden and oppressed - all those (like the street dwellers of Rio) who may feel they are outside society's (and God's) love... Such a theology is not only to be expressed in the Gospel but also in the way we, as Christian's, share God's love, care and concern in practical ways.... All this was to be witne...

Snakes, beavers and penguins...

Ushuaia boasts some vast areas of unspoilt national park and, having taken the ( very touristy!) "Fin del Mundo / End of the World" railway into the park, I began to explore the small section of the 630 square kilometre park open to the public.... Scenic hikes along the bays and rivers enables one to glimpse something of the prolific birdlife - condors, cormorants, gulls, terns, kelp geese, grebes and oystercatchers... ( I remembered our dear bird-watcher and past Church Warden, Dilwyn, as I peered out on the range of feathered creatures. He would have loved the display!) Our guide spoke of the fact that Tierra del Fuego, being an island, has no snakes - there weren't any in this part of Argentina and they were never introduced! Tramping through the course mix of shrubs and fallen logs, I can't say that I was disappointed to discover that I couldn't be bitten by any poisonous reptiles.....! The guide later spoke of some of the earlier settlers ( remember this...