Skip to main content

Buenos Aires

Leaving behind the vast treasury of 'hidden' dynosaurs and the legacy of Welsh settlers in the "Wladfa", I headed to Argentina's capital city for a last dose of the country's "culture"....

Staying in what seemed to be Buenos Aires' equivalent of the West End (complete with flashing neon lights and star studded pavement) I certainly had my fill enjoying:
● a free concert of Austrian and Argentinian classical music - complete with "surround sound" pan pipes and drumming...
● a contemporary dance ensemble doing some amazing moves to the music of 'Queen'
● another free jazz / brass concert by the Argentinian Federal Police band (I can still picture one 5 year old girl decked like a monster - it was Halloween- "conducting" all these adults with great aplomb!)
● and to round off my Argentinian cultural forray? Why tango, of course! ( How do these Latin Americans move so lithely; making every glide, every kick of the feet and every turn of the head appear so sexy!!?)

Such great diversity of creativity, reminding me of the richness of the gifts God gives each and everone of us; all able to reflect something of our Creator in whose image we have been made...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walthamstow - seen in passing....

How about this for a "mobile library"? Households volunteer to host a "book house" which is stocked with books. People passing can borrow / add / replace a book and so the mini library continues.... What a wonderfully simple public service...!

Beginnings...

A journey begins with one step and (with some trepidation) I start my sabbatical. The hope? To rest, have time out to reflect on calling,  ministry and what it might look like in the future - personally and within the context of Ruthin.... So, a prayer: Loving God , in my journeying and my resting, in my listening and or reflecting please guide me and lead me afresh to the light of your truth, Jesus. For I ask in His name... AMEN .

Metropolitan Cathedral, Brasilia

Wednesday was a sharp contrast to the natural beauty of Amazonia - the capital city of Brasilia. This city replaced Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's centre of government in the 1960s (and it shows - sometimes in a good way!) Under the visionary leadership of President Juscelino Kubitschek ( stayed in a hotel named after him) the city was designed to bring together the diverse talents and skills of the newly independent Brazil. Established in the desert area of central Brazil, the city is a superb example of the work of architect Oscar Niemeyer, urban planner Lucio Costa and landscape architect Burle Marx ( see picture in previous blog). Their futuristic dream of a perfectly modelled 'city state' is evidenced in the many (literally!) ground-breaking buildings - some now sadly showing their age... I was able to join the 80 or so midday worshippers of all ages, gathered to celebrate the Eucharist and, for me, this was also an opportunity ( in contrast to the Amazon) to thank God