Skip to main content

Bagpipes in Buenos Aires!?!

We all know that when we gather to worship, we gather as different people from different contexts and, sometimes, from different countries but united in our desire to demonstrate our love of God, as revealed in Christ and, by the power of His Holy Spirit, to be united in our commitment to also demonstrate the love of our neighbour as ourselves.
It came as something of a shock, when worshipping at St. John's Anglican Cathedral, Buenos Aires, to be particulalrly celebrating with our celtic neighbours - the Scots!
(I thought it seemed rather early for a St. Andrew's Day celebration!)

There was quite a crowd of some dozen banners of different tartans, all led in to church to the accompaniment of the bagpipes. (With temperatures in the high 20s even I could have happily donned a kilt for the occasion - as some did!)

I felt quite at home with my fellow Celts and our bilingual worship!
(Spanish and some English - although I have to say that I was pleased to have already read and reflected upon the Gospel as the sermon was in Spanish!)

Scanning the faces and listening attentively to all my fellow congregants warmly sharing the Peace (the usual hugs / handshakes!), I couldn't discern many (any?!) Scottish accents but, later in the day when visiting the City's museum, I learnt how the Scottish Highlanders formed the largest part of the British invading party in the 19th century.
Although repelled by the Portugese did some ( latterly?) stay in Buenos Aires...?

Or was it an ecclesiastical connection?
Whilst the hymn and prayer books proudly denoted a link with the (American) episcopal church, were there some Scottish founding fathers (and mothers!) involved with the establishment of this particular anglican church?

Although I doubt if many (any?) of those present had ever visited Scotland it was completely appropriate to give thanks for the Scots who, from different clans, had all played their different part in making the church what it was and to also pray that we - different people in different contexts and from different nations - would also play our part at this time in building up God's kingdom, and all for the glory of Christ!
(Cue bagpipes!?!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insufficient words....

... that's what I felt like when, having moved on to the (equally beautiful and 'touristy') town of El Calafate, I ventured to see one of its main 'draws' - the Perito Moreno Glacier.... Some fifty photographs (from the water facing it and from the organised viewpoints above it)  cannot capture its magnitude, all shades of white and blue shimmering in the sunshine... It is as large as the whole surface area of Buenos Aires and is "in equilibrium" (ie the amount of ice breaking off at its end - and I witnessed that several times - is equal to the amount of snow replenishing it day by day.) It travels some 2 meters every day and, as often happens, has "cut off" one side of the vast Lago Argentina lake so that the water level one side is some 3 meters higher than the other. In time the natural forces will find a way to redress this inbalance and the sheer force of water will eventually cause the glacier to "rupture" - with great force a...

Snakes, beavers and penguins...

Ushuaia boasts some vast areas of unspoilt national park and, having taken the ( very touristy!) "Fin del Mundo / End of the World" railway into the park, I began to explore the small section of the 630 square kilometre park open to the public.... Scenic hikes along the bays and rivers enables one to glimpse something of the prolific birdlife - condors, cormorants, gulls, terns, kelp geese, grebes and oystercatchers... ( I remembered our dear bird-watcher and past Church Warden, Dilwyn, as I peered out on the range of feathered creatures. He would have loved the display!) Our guide spoke of the fact that Tierra del Fuego, being an island, has no snakes - there weren't any in this part of Argentina and they were never introduced! Tramping through the course mix of shrubs and fallen logs, I can't say that I was disappointed to discover that I couldn't be bitten by any poisonous reptiles.....! The guide later spoke of some of the earlier settlers ( remember this...

Siarad Cymraeg!

Moving on from Ushuaia to Trelew, Patagonia brought me closer to my final destination in Argentina and, in a strange way, closer "home"...! During my first full day in Trelew (a town established by a certain Mr. Lewis!) I ventured on the local buses to visit two of the main communities in the Chubut valley - Dolavon (a town meaning "river meadow", reflecting the vast network of irrigation channels, waterwheels and fertile land established here) and Gaiman (a name meaning "arrow / stoney point"  not given by the Welsh pioneers who settled here but the earlier native Tehuelche inhabitants who wintered in the area.) Both small, rural communities had a genteel, stately charm, their scattered low rise buildings perhaps reflecting the key priorities of those early settlers - chapels (Tabernacl, Bethel and Bethlehem amongst them), co-operative stores ( for selling produce and acquiring materials imported from home) and railways (quaint stations, tunnels and war...